BSN-FP4017 Assessment 1 Interprofessional Collaboration and Teamwork
Write a 3–4-page article that addresses the topic of interprofessional collaboration and teamwork in health care organizations.
The majority of health care leaders today state that interprofessional collaboration is essential for effective and efficient health care delivery. But this type of collaboration rarely occurs (Bankston & Glazer, 2013). In this assessment you will consider what it takes to develop truly effective interprofessional collaborative teams.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Explain strategies for effective interprofessional teamwork and collaboration in health care delivery.
- Explain the challenges of working in interprofessional teams.
- Describe strategies to help people work effectively together.
- Competency 2: Analyze the implications of working with interprofessional teams in multifaceted health care settings.
- Explain the meaning of the term “interprofessional collaboration” from a nursing perspective.
- Explain how interprofessional teams define success.
- Describe the characteristics and qualities of effective interprofessional teams in terms of patient safety.
- Describe the benefits and limitations of interprofessional teams for health care organizations, interprofessional team members, and patients.
- Competency 4: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with expectations of a nursing professional.
- Write content clearly and logically, with correct use of grammar, punctuation, and mechanics.
- Correctly format paper, citations, and references using APA style.
Bankston, K., & Glazer, G. (2013). Legislative: Interprofessional collaboration: What’s taking so long? OJIN: The Online Journal of Issues in Nursing, 19(1).
Check Your this online tool to track your performance and progress through your course.
When six Navy pilots step into their F/A-18 fighter jets, they become the Blue Angels, and the world sees a synchronized display of precision flight formation. During their aerial acrobatics, the 28-ton jets form a diamond shape with a mere 18 inches between the wing of one jet and the canopy of another, travelling at more than 300 miles per hour. How do the pilots achieve such precision? In addition to hours of practice, intense focus, clear communication, and mutual trust, “at the door, each [pilot] checks his or her ego, exchanging it for a soul-deep commitment to ‘The Team'” (Scott, 2005, para.1).
Teams and collaborative groups are at the heart of many great achievements and are common in health care and familiar to nurses. But what defines a team, and how do teams achieve great outcomes? There are a number of elements that must come together in order to build effective teams. Many teams are in a state of constant flux as they build and dissolve, based on the needs of the organization. Nurses are often involved in several teams at the same time, and many of these teams are multidisciplinary in nature.
So, what factors determine the effectiveness of a multidisciplinary team? Do the same factors affect different teams working within different areas of health care?
Scott, W. (2005). Blue angels. Aviation Week & Space Technology, 162(12), 50–57.
Questions to Consider
To deepen your understanding, you are encouraged to consider the questions below and discuss them with a fellow learner, a work associate, an interested friend, or a member of your professional community.
- Consider some of the teams of which you have been a member:
- What factors contributed to the success and effectiveness of the team?
- How did each member of the team contribute to the success of the team?
- Toggle Drawer
The following optional resources are provided to support you in completing the assessment or to provide a helpful context. For additional resources, refer to the Research Resources and Supplemental Resources in the left navigation menu of your courseroom.
The following e-books or articles from the Capella University Library are linked directly in this course:
- Bender, M., Connelly, C. D., & Brown, C. (2013). Interdisciplinary collaboration: The
role of the clinical nurse leader. Journal of Nursing
Management, 21(1), 165–174.
- Miers, M., & Pollard, K. (2009). The role of nurses in interprofessional health and social care teams. Nursing Management, 15(9), 30–35.
- Rose, L. (2011). Interprofessional collaboration in the ICU: How to define? Nursing in Critical Care, 16(1), 5–10.
- Tschannen, D., & Kalisch, B. J. (2009). The impact of nurse/physician collaboration on patient length of stay. Journal of Nursing Management, 17(7), 796–803.
- Petri, L. (2010). Concept analysis of interdisciplinary collaboration. Nursing Forum, 45(2), 73–82.
- McDonald, C., & McCallin, A. (2010). Interprofessional collaboration in palliative nursing: What is the patient-family role? International Journal of Palliative Nursing, 16(6), 285–288.
- Doherty, R. B., & Crowley, R. A. (2013). Principles supporting dynamic clinical care teams: An American College of Physicians position paper. Annals of Internal Medicine, 159(9), 620–627.
Course Library Guide
A Capella University library guide has been created specifically for your use in this course. You are encouraged to refer to the resources in the BSN-FP4017 – Collaborative Group Process for Nursing Professionals library guide to help direct your research.
The resources listed below are relevant to the topics and assessments in this course and are not required. These resources are available from the Capella University Bookstore. When searching the bookstore, be sure to look for the Course ID with the specific –FP (FlexPath) course designation.
- Levi, D. (2017). Group dynamics for teams (5th ed.).
Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Chapters 1, 2, 3, and 4.
- Assessment Instructions
Search the Capella library and Internet to locate scholarly and professional journal articles on the elements of an effective interprofessional health care team to use as support in this assessment.
You have been asked to submit an article to be published in your organization’s newsletter. After careful deliberation, you have decided to address the topic of interprofessional collaboration and teamwork in health care organizations, and how teams can be successful. Your article should be 3–4 pages in length, not including the title page and references page. Format this assessment following APA guidelines.
Complete the following in your article:
- Explain what is meant by the term interprofessional
collaboration from a nursing perspective. (Do not simply copy a definition
from a dictionary or other resource!)
- Describe the characteristics and qualities of effective interprofessional teams in terms of patient care and safety.
- Describe the benefits and limitations of interprofessional teams for health care organizations, members of a team, and patients.
- Explain the challenges of working in an interprofessional team.
- Describe strategies to help people come together to function effectively as a collaborative team.
- Explain how interprofessional teams define success. Consider how the definition might change based on the types of situations the team was formed to handle.
- Include a separate title page and references page.
- Reference at least three current scholarly or professional resources.
- Use APA format.
- Use Times New Roman font, 12 point.
- Double space.
Get help with your classes. We provide step-by-step answers to all writing assignments including: essay (any type), research paper, argumentative essay, book/movie review, case study, coursework, presentation, term paper, research proposal, speech, capstone project, annotated bibliography, among others. We are a dedicated essay writing service that can help you put together a top-quality essay.
Professional university paper writers. We Will Help You Write Your Essays From initial topic to finished paper. We guarantee that your custom essay will not only be delivered on time but will also be of the highest quality.
Get Unstuck! Order Original Answers for all your Assignments
Get Help With Essay Writing
- Any citation style
- Any topic
- 100% Original essays
- Free revision